What Model Discus Do You Use?

Discussion about all throws (shotput, discus, javelin, hammer, weight throw)

Re: What Model Discus Do You Use?

Postby johnsolanzo1209 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:12 pm

When it's slippery I use chalk... lol :D
But i didn't have any choice but to throw with the Orange Flyer during meets since it's the only metal discus we had... Sad huh. That's why i bought my own skymaster that has a rim weight of 76% so I'm good.
I've been called "The short ass dude who throws far" too many times, it's not even funny.

5'5"
170lbs
41'5.5" (12lb)
126'6" (1.6kg)
180'(1kg)
11.80 100m
43.63 4x100m
johnsolanzo1209

Postby rjy1966 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:30 pm

I have to admit that any time I see a really good condition used discus or even a new one that is on sale I buy it. I throw masters and have about 8 different 2k discs. My son has a crazy selection of 1.6K now and throws them all but has some favorites. Some of the discs he throws regularly are:
-Purple Flyer and Orange Flyer have great feel and narrower rim. (I picked up both of them in nearly new shape for $50 each) He really likes the purple flyer.
- Nelco Odyssey - he has 2 of them and other high school kids throwing over 170' have used them for the last high school season and liked them.
- Hollowood - very durable discus, easy to throw, no feel.
- Ultimate Spin - nice discus, need to be throwing a mile for it to make sense (probably 185'+).
- Skymaster - great discus but really designed for big throwers can get very wobbly if your sloppy.
- Polanik - good cheap practice discus and every high school should have a few. very tough and good to learn with.
- Black First Place - 1.5k nice feel and good for competiton.
- OTE VHM - Feels good, looks good and flys well but has like 85% rim weight.

There are a few cheaper discs he has kicking around as well. It does appear (maybe its psychological) that he throws an 80%+ rim weight an extra meter or two (3-6').
rjy1966

Postby TrackDaddy97 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:29 pm

rjy1966 wrote:I have to admit that any time I see a really good condition used discus or even a new one that is on sale I buy it. I throw masters and have about 8 different 2k discs. My son has a crazy selection of 1.6K now and throws them all but has some favorites. Some of the discs he throws regularly are:
-Purple Flyer and Orange Flyer have great feel and narrower rim. (I picked up both of them in nearly new shape for $50 each) He really likes the purple flyer.
- Nelco Odyssey - he has 2 of them and other high school kids throwing over 170' have used them for the last high school season and liked them.
- Hollowood - very durable discus, easy to throw, no feel.
- Ultimate Spin - nice discus, need to be throwing a mile for it to make sense (probably 185'+).
- Skymaster - great discus but really designed for big throwers can get very wobbly if your sloppy.
- Polanik - good cheap practice discus and every high school should have a few. very tough and good to learn with.
- Black First Place - 1.5k nice feel and good for competiton.
- OTE VHM - Feels good, looks good and flys well but has like 85% rim weight.

There are a few cheaper discs he has kicking around as well. It does appear (maybe its psychological) that he throws an 80%+ rim weight an extra meter or two (3-6').

Rob I never got to thank you for letting me use the Nelco this season my best in training with that was a bit over 190ft. Since I'm now only throwing the 2k I can get them as I please I bought a skymaster for $100 even though it is advanced for me I'm not turning it down for that price. I think I might get two Nelco disc from BSN and I also might get a purple or orange flyer. Most schools have the Denfi's so I'm set there. Also has anyone used a Dick Held discus I heard they are amazing and a favourite to use?
Any issues, question or anything else feel free to message.

The University of Findlay
TrackDaddy97

Postby rjy1966 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:55 pm

I have heard very good things about the Dick Held discs as well.
rjy1966

Postby NHThrower8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Didn't think this old thread would get dragged back. I am currently using an older Nelco Superspin (baby blue color) that is supposedly 88% rim weight during meets. I sometimes also use the Nelco Ultima as well at least during warm-ups. The past few practices though, my Denfi Original Hi-Spin has been flying the best. It is quite bizzare.
Stats:
6'3"
230 lbs
16lb Shot Put: 14.26m
35lb Weight:17.46m
16lb Hammer:57.36m
2k Discus: 46.16m
NHThrower8

Postby Starz74 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 pm

I think saying one discus spins faster than another is a misconception. A discus with less rim weight is EASIER to spin not faster or slower.
Starz74

Postby roguethrower » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Starz74 wrote:I think saying one discus spins faster than another is a misconception. A discus with less rim weight is EASIER to spin not faster or slower.

Well that's what I mean. Discuses don't spin faster or slower by themselves, but since a person has only so much strength especially on the index finger alone during the "trigger pull", then at best on a perfect throw, you'll cause the lighter rim to spin faster than you can spin the heavy one.
You can press the space bar to pause Youtube videos
Uploading videos in an editable format: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=316
roguethrower

Postby JGdiscinnh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm

I wish you could still get a Cantabrian Black model...mine is getting rather beat up now but still weighs in every time and flies great! I think it's around 80-85% rim weight. The Cantabrians were the closest thing I've seen to indestructible and were discontinued sometime in the 90's. I've never had good luck with anything in the 90+ percent rim weight category. You literally need to be throwing over 210 feet to get one to flight correctly. Rim weights in the 80's are much better for your average to above-average thrower up to 200 feet.
JGdiscinnh

Postby norway89 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:26 pm

I think saying one discus spins faster than another is a misconception. A discus with less rim weight is EASIER to spin not faster or slower.

? .... nope, It is easier to spin a lower rimweight faster! .... It`s not like it is either spinning or not .... you wont suddenly get no spin on the disc when you use lets say 85 % .. :P But it will most likely be a slower spin than if you were throwing a 75%.
norway89

Postby UKThrower » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Do people still use cantabrian discs?
I have a 2k one that is 30 years old now
UKThrower

PreviousNext

Return to The Throws!